The Iowa Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners Association (ITBOA) is a non-profit organization responsible for promoting the breeding and racing of Thoroughbreds in Iowa. The ITBOA currently represents nearly 500 Iowa-bred owners and breeders and is active in a variety of Thoroughbred programs.
Stake race sponsorship - In 2014 the ITBOA sponsored 12 Iowa-bred stake races. Among these are the six Iowa-bred stake races on Iowa Classic night, the most exciting night of Iowa-bred racing during the year. The ITBOA also sponsors the ITBOA Stallion Stakes, two open races for horses sired by Stallions catalogued and sold in the annual ITBOA Stallion Auction. Nominations for these stake races are handled through the ITBOA office.
Legislative Action - The ITBOA works diligently in the Iowa legislature to protect and improve the Iowa Thoroughbred Program, while representing the best interests of all breeders throughout the state. The ITBOA developed and administers the Iowa Breeders Fund, which pays Breeders Awards, Stallion Awards and Purse Supplements for Iowa-breds.
Iowa-bred: All thoroughbred horses foaled in Iowa prior to January 1, 1985, which are registered by the Jockey Club as Iowa foaled shall be considered to be Iowa-foaled.
After January 1, 1985, eligibility for brood mare residence shall be achieved by meeting at least one of the following rules:
(1) Thirty days residency until the foal is inspected, if in foal to a registered Iowa Stallion.
(2) Thirty days residency until the foal is inspected for brood mares which are bred back to registered Iowa Stallions.
(3) Continuous residency from December 31 until the foal is inspected if the mare was bred by other than an Iowa registered stallion and is not bred back to an Iowa registered stallion.
Iowa-bred Purse Supplements:
(1) Iowa-bred purse supplements for restricted Iowa-bred races: 25% owner award paid to horses finishing first through fourth place.
(2) Iowa-bred purse supplements for Iowa-breds in open company races: 40% owner award paid to horses finishing first through fourth place.
Supplements are capped at $50,000 limit per race.
Breeders Awards: Awards equaling 12% of the winners share of the purse won by an Iowa-bred Thoroughbred in the state of Iowa are paid to breeders at the end of each calendar year through the Iowa Breeders Fund.
STARTED IN 2011: Breeders-Supplement Awards: Awards equaling 6% of the share of the purse won by horses running 2nd - 4th by an Iowa-bred Thoroughbred in the state of Iowa are paid to breeders. This will be paid by a separate check then the Breeders Awards.